FRENCH TOAST WITH BROWN BUTTER SYRUP



FRENCH TOAST WITH BROWN BUTTER SYRUP

This tastes very similar to French toast and the delicious brown butter syrup just makes it even better. You will feel like you are cheating!!  Low-carbing can be a very luxurious diet!  I must admit I'm not an eggs and bacon in the morning sort of person.  I like my cup of tea or weak, milk coffee with something like what I've pictured above, but for me, only two pieces of bacon.  More than likely that would not be breakfast, though, but my main meal of the day.  I don't eat a lot...at least I don't think so.  Breakfast (I get up late - around 9 or 9:30 am, but get to bed most nights close to midnight - I want to change all of that sometime soon...I like the early mornings typically, and I work best early in the morning) is usually leftover baking and my tea or simply my tea more often than not.  Then I'll eat around midday or so.  I'll have a big meal and a medium-sized to small supper, or if I have had a breakfast that day, sometimes I skip supper.  So basically, I'm not what you would call a big eater most the time...weird considering my career revolves around food all the time!  I think that would not be the case if I lived off white flour and sugar products, however.  Low-carbing is an especially good way to satisfy the appetite.

  (each sliced into 3 rounds)
Brown Butter Syrup:
1/cup butter (125 mL)
Granular sweetener to equal 1/2 cup (125 mL)
  sugar*
1/cup whipping cream (125 mL)

Prepare Hamburger Buns.  Slice a hamburger bun into three slices.  In nonstick, dry pan, toast pieces until golden brown on both sides.  Serve immediately with Brown Butter Syrup.

Brown Butter Syrup:  In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Keep cooking the butter until it turns golden brown.  Stir in the sweetener and whipping cream.  Whisk with a whisk until the mixture boils.  Remove from the heat.  Store in a Mason jar in the refrigerator.  Serve the syrup slightly warm.

Helpful Hints:  *I used Natural Mate® Granular.  You can get it in a Erythritol/Stevia or Erythritol/Sucralose version. What I enjoy about these new sweeteners is that there is practically NO cooling after effect that is so common when using erythritol by itself.  Please use whatever sweetener you like though, just not erythritol by itself...you can combine it with liquid stevia or sucralose.

Yield:  3 French toast pieces 
1 bun with 3 tbsp syrup
490.0 calories
15.1 g protein
44.6 g fat
6.8 g net carbs